HOW TO CHECK WATER DAMAGE
HOW TO CHECK YOUR MOISTURE INDICATOR
- Following your Smartphone’s manufacturer instructions. Carefully remove the SIM Card and visually check the colour of the indicator in the slot.
- If the indicator has turned red or pink, your Smartphone has been compromised by Water. (For Huawei Phones, the indicator may turn solid pink, purple or red)
MOISTURE DETECTION NOTIFICATIONS
You may also receive a ‘Moisture Detected’ Notification on your Smartphone. You may get this as a stand-alone message, or you may get it when you go to charge your device.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR PHONE HAS WATER DAMAGE
- Book a Water Damage Treatment immediately
- Let us know what type of liquid caused the Water Damage
- Remove your SIM- especially if the spill or submersion was particularly bad, and turn your phone off.
- Dry your Smartphone - Use a clean, dry cloth to dry the exterior
If you cannot get to a PAIR Store right away, you can leave your smartphone to safely air-dry in a hot press, or any dry space.
WHAT NOT TO DO❌
- Rice is not right – Surprise! Rice does not help your Phone dry out. A safer, better way to dry your phone is to pop it in the hot press, or any dry space.
- Say no to Plastic – Do not be tempted to keep your phone safe in a plastic bag after it has gotten wet. Any container that is airtight or made with a non-breathable material will only service to make your phone retain more of the moisture.
- Heat is not sweet – It seems logical to dry something with heat, we do it with clothes right? Never, ever leave your Smartphone near a heat source to dry it out. This is counter intuitive and will do more damage than good.
When in doubt, leave your phone is a safe, dry space until you can get a Water Damage Treatment done.
WHAT IS A WATER DAMAGE TREATMENT?
Our Water Damage Treatment includes a full moisture removal service, corrosion or sanitary treatment (if needed) and diagnostic service at just €25 for Smartphones and €30 for Laptops.
We will safely, and carefully;
- Disassemble the device
- Safely and slowly dry out the device including its constituent components and parts
- Add a treatment. For salt-water or laundering water accidents, we will add an anti-corrosive treatment. For unsanitary water accidents, (we’re looking at you, toilet water!) we’ll also sanitise the entire device and its parts too.
- Diagnose if any parts need to be replaced due to the water damage
- Carefully reassemble the device
The charge covers these tests and treatments in full and in the case where further repairs are needed, this charge will be deducted from the total cost of these repairs.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
WHAT TO EXPECT WITH WATER DAMAGE
Water Damage Treatments are the first step to restoring your device- further repairs may be required. A Water Damage Treatment is not a mutually exclusive process in completely fixing Water Damage.
If you’re lucky, a simple Water Damage Treatment may be the only thing you need to fix your phone. Especially if we’re dealing with a small spill. For more extensive damage, it is common to replace the water-damaged component in your phone. The most common replacements within a water-damaged device are a Screen Replacement or a Battery Replacement.
This can depend on the extent of the damage such as the type of liquid that caused the damage, the duration for which the phone was in it and the time between the accident and the Water Damage Treatment itself.
MY PHONE IS WATER DAMAGED; DOES IT HAVE A WARRANTY?
Water Damage can have both long-term and short-term detrimental effects on your Smartphone. Especially if the Damage was due to unclean, salt or laundering water. Due to the fact that some water damage may take months to show: we cannot offer our regular Warranty on devices that have been damaged by water.
DOES THE TYPE OF WATER MATTER?
Depending on the type of liquid and the length of submersion; this can affect how well we can restore your device. Always tell your technician what type of liquid caused your Water Damage. This will ensure we get the best treatment to restore your device.
SALTWATER / SEA WATER – This is super corrosive due to the presence of salt in the water. Salt crystals cause serious problems to the electrical components.
WASHING UP/ LAUNDERING WATER – Most household soaps have surfactants in them. Surfactants have a low surface tension so that they can increase their spreading and wetting ability. Perfect for cleaning, disastrous for your phone!
TOILET / UNSANITARY WATER – Don’t be embarrassed! We have all been there! This is a super common type of Water Damage but naturally, we need to make sure our techs take the appropriate measures to both protect themselves and to carefully disinfect your device too.
DRINKS / COFFEE – Although a drink spill is over in a flash, it’s what is in the drinks that cause problems. Sugar and carbonated drinks leave a sticky residue that can be problematic if not cleaned right away.
NATURAL WATER / PUDDLE – Any natural ground water or even a lovely old puddle, is full of dirt, bacteria and minerals. If this gets into the enclosed, electrical components of a phone, plus the retaining moisture- this creates the perfect conditions for bacteria to go wild.
BUT MY PHONE IS WATERPROOF?
CAN YOU RESTORE MY IP RATING?
In short; no.
Your IP Rating is the level of protection from such elements as water, dirt and dust that has been verified and assigned to your phone when it was first made, factory fresh from the manufacturer.
Once your phone has encountered water damage, or even more serious physical damage such as a smashed screen or broken back cover- the IP Rating will have been compromised. Any type of damage that causes dust, water or even open air to be able to penetrate your device, will affect your IP Rating.
Once this has happened, there is no way to accurately restore an IP Rating back to that factory fresh setting.
WHERE CAN I BOOK?
You can avail of our Water Damage Treatment at any one of our 6 locations across Dublin, Cork and Limerick.
You don’t need an appointment! Drops in are always welcome and we’ll take your device in any time.
Take a look of our Quick links below now and Save time & Book your Water Damage Treatment online now.